This Section explains who is eligible for accommodation and when to apply. Our official Residential Allocation Policy is set in November each year for the following Academic Year. Links to the Allocation Policy are supplied below.
University Accommodation is provided in and around Guildford for a full academic year (approximately 38 weeks), or a full year (approximately 50 weeks), depending on the course requirements.
- All first year undergraduate students who are new to the University of Surrey are guaranteed a place in accommodation, provided that they have accepted a formal offer of a place on a course, and a valid application for accommodation is made by 1 September 2014.
- Overseas (non-EU) course fees continuing students are guaranteed a place in accommodation for the normal duration of their course provided they apply by the deadline each year; for the 2014/15 academic year this is 20 December 2013.
- UK/EU course fees continuing students may apply for accommodation, but places are limited and are not guaranteed. The closing date for applications is 20 December 2013. Priority will be given to students returning from placement.
- All first year postgraduates on taught and research programmes are guaranteed a place provided all the following criteria are met:
- A formal offer of a place on a course is made and Registry is in receipt of the ‘Postgraduate Offer Acceptance Form’.
- The University is in receipt of the Composition Fee or satisfactory written evidence of an award by 8 August 2014.
- An accommodation application has been made by 8 August 2014.
- All continuing postgraduates on full-time taught or research programmes may apply for accommodation, but places are limited and are not guaranteed. The closing date for applications is 20 December 2013.
- Certain Students Union designated posts are guaranteed a place in accommodation.
- Exchange and Occasional students are eligible to apply for a place in accommodation, but are not guaranteed a place. Spaces are limited and will be subject to availability.
- Students with special requirements, on the annual recommendation of Centre for Wellbeing or the Additional Learning Support department, will be offered accommodation for the normal duration of their course.
- This policy is reviewed annually and is subject to change.
- Accommodation guarantees only extend to unaccompanied students to be allocated single rooms. We are unable to guarantee the availability of accommodation for partners or families.
- Accommodation guarantees only extend to full year or full academic year, full time students starting in September.
- We regret that under normal circumstances we are not able to accommodate part time and occasional students, or students undertaking a placement year.
- Any students who are repeating part of their course (whether oversees course fees or UK/EU course fees) are not guaranteed a place, but may apply as a continuing student.