Private English Tuition
If you would like to improve your English, we can put together an individual language and cultural training programme. The course can be from one week to several months and will be designed to suit your individual needs.
We can arrange for 1:1 tuition or for groups. There may also be opportunities to be integrated with other students learning English at the University. The course could take place at any time of the year (although campus accommodation is limited during term time).
A typical programme might include:
- General language development (grammar & vocabulary)
- Listening & speaking skills, including seminar discussions & presentations
- Writing skills
- Reading & note-taking
- Research skills
- British culture & society
Please contact us at email@example.com for more information on individual courses. It would be helpful if you could provide details of:
- Approximate dates
- Approximate number of students
- Level of students
- Would students require accommodation on campus (self-catering)
- How many hours of tuition would be required per week eg 18
- Would the group require trips or educational visits to places of interest to be included in the course?
We will then get back to you to discuss the possibilities in more detail and provide you with the cost of the course.
Unfortunately, we do not currently offer tuition to under 18s.
English language training for non-native English speakers
- You may employ non-native speakers of English who have a specific need to improve their basic skills, for example their written English, or their pronunciation.
- English for Business; The Department of Languages and Translation Studies staff provide special modules for students of management at Surrey, and are therefore expert at building confidence and providing training in such areas as English for meetings or for negotiation.
- You may have incoming executives located for a period of time in the UK, whose language skills need improving. They, in turn, may have partners who also need English language training whilst here.
In cases such as these, and many others, we can organise training on a 1:1 or small group basis; the training can be in-company, or in our special language teaching rooms on campus.
After an initial assessment by one of our English specialists, a written proposal will outline the focus of the training and specify the main objectives.
English for native English Speakers
Native English speakers often have difficulty with written English. Staff who are otherwise confident and competent may struggle when it comes to report-writing or presentations. It may be that a course of tuition can remedy this.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Courses and tests
In order to be able to work in the UK, many professions demand a certain level of proficiency, as measured by IELTS. IELTS is a universally acknowledged benchmark for English language proficiency, covering all four skill areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
The Department of Languages and Translation Studies at the University of Surrey is an IELTS Testing Centre and offers both preparation courses and IELTS tests throughout the year. Anyone may register with us to take the test, or to follow one of our courses. Expert guidance is available on this, as on all our training.