Professor Martin Adams
Professor of Food Microbiology
1971 BSc Molecular Sciences, University of Warwick
1972 MSc Microbial Chemistry, University of Manchester
1974 PhD “Biosynthesis of the diterpenoid antibiotic aphidicolin.” University of Manchester
1974-1984 Higher Scientific Officer, Microbiology and Fermentation Section, Tropical Products Institute London
1984-present Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader and, most recently, Professor of Food Microbiology, University of Surrey
The physiology of foodborne pathogens
Lactic acid bacteria and fermented foods
1. Jayamanne, V.S. and Adams, M R. (2009) Modelling the effects of pH, storage temperature and redox potential (Eh) on the survival of bifidobacteria in fermented milk. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 44 1131-1138
2. Adams, M. (2009) Staphylococcus aureus and other pathogenic Gram-positive cocci. In C. de W Blackburn and P.J. McClure (eds) Foodborne pathogens: hazard, risk analysis and control 2nd edn, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge p. 802-819.
3. Adams, M. (2009) Fermented Fish. In R Fernandes (ed) Microbiology Handbook Fish and Seafood. Leatherhead Food International/Royal Society of Chemistry, London p.123-140.
4. Adams, M.R. (2008) From gin to penicillin. Microbiologist 9 (4) 36-40.
5. Egan, M .B., Bielby, G., Eves, A., Lumbers, M.L., Raats, M.M.and Adams M R (2008) Food hygiene education in UK secondary schools: A nationwide survey of teachers’ views Health Education Journal 67(2) 2008 110–120
6. Adams, M. R. (2007) Food hygiene in developing countries. In McLauchlin J. and Little, C. (eds) Hobb’s Food Poisoning and Food Hygiene. 7th edn. Hodder Arnold, London p.326-335.
7. Aljarallah, K.M. and Adams, M.R. (2007) Mechanism of heat inactivation in Salmonella serotype Typhimurium as affected by low water activity at different temperatures. J. Appl. Microbiol. 102 153-160.
8. Egan, M. B, Raats, M. M, Grubb, S. M., Eves, A., Lumbers, M. L., Dean, M. S. Adams, M. R. (2007) A review of food safety and food hygiene training studies in the commercial sector. Food Control 18 1180-1190
9. Adams, M.R. and Moss, M.O. (2007). Food Microbiology. 3rd edition. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge.463pp
10. Stergiou, V., Thomas, L. and Adams, M.R. (2006) Interaction of nisin with glutathione in a model system and meat. J. Food Protection 69 951-956.
11. Jayamanne, V.S. and Adams, M. R. (2006) Determination of identity, survival and stress resistance of probiotic bifidobacteria in bio-yoghurts. Letters in Appl. Microbiol. 42 189-194.
12. Eves, A., Bielby G., Egan, B., Lumbers, M., Raats, M. and Adams, M. (2006) Food hygiene knowledge and self-reported behaviours of UK school children (4-14 years). British Food Journal 108 706-720.
13. Motarjemi, Y. and Adams M. (eds) (2006) Emerging foodborne pathogens. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge. 656 pp.
14. Bielby G., Egan, B., Eves, A., Lumbers, M., Raats, M. and Adams, M. (2006) Food hygiene education in UK primary schools: a nationwide survey of teachers’ views. British Food Journal 108 721-731.
15. Zanichelli, D., Baker, T.A., Clifford, M.N. and Adams, M.R. (2005) Inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus by oleuropein is mediated by hydrogen peroxide. J. Food Protection 68 1492-1496.
Food Science BMS 1013
Food Microbiology 1 BMS 2010
Food Microbiology 2 BMS 3025
Practical Food Microbiology BMS 3026
Food Technology BMS 3024
Food Quality Assurance BMS 3023
MSc Medical Microbiology
Food, Water and Public Health.
Microbiology Programme Director
Senior PTY Tutor
Chair Level 1 Exam Board
Faculty Rep PTCC
Chair MSc Medical Microbiology Exam Board