Welcome to the Department
- We have distinctive undergraduate programmes with either a Professional Training Year (BSc) or a Research Year (MPhys) that is often spent abroad.
- In the 2013 National Student Survey, we received a 95% satisfaction rating from our students, and 98% found their course intellectually stimulating.
- The Department has over thirty years of teaching vocational masters degrees.
- Our pure and applied research ranges from the study of atomic nuclei to modelling exotic liquid crystals. As of this year, the Department has a new astrophysics research group.
- The Department is highly ranked in university league tables, ranked 10th in the UK in both the 2014 Complete University Guide and the 2014 Times Good University Guide. We are also ranked 1st for graduate prospects, with 100% Graduate Employability for our Physics cohort who graduated in 2012.
Our VideosWatch on YouTube
Watch on YouKu if visiting from China
- Hitting the nail on the head for people with autism
- Surrey researcher wins valuable EPRSC Fellowship Grant
- Returning Professional Training Placement Students' Update
- Drunken walks on a nanotube tightrope
- Physics UG Joe Francis awarded prize at Inventorthon