Join our friendly, world class Department...
Our four undergraduate degrees each combine a friendly, supportive atmosphere with challenging and stimulating programmes of study which build on our expertise, research strengths and areas of specialism. Our undergraduate teaching regularly scores highly in the National Student Survey and in university league tables produced by the Guardian, Times and Complete University Guide.
We also have an outstanding, internationally recognised research reputation (joint 6th in the UK in the last Research Assessment Exercise) and we integrate this vibrant research activity into our teaching, ensuring you will leave your degree with the most up to date knowledge in the field.
We offer the following degrees:
We also contribute to two joint degrees:
All of our undergraduate degree programmes combine a range of substantive topics with practical skills in how to do research, so you will know how we know what we do about the social world around us. Whichever of the degrees you do, this practical knowledge will also help you in the job market, as research methods skills are in high demand with employers. In the case of Media Studies, students also have the chance to develop practical media skills for a proportion of your programme.
Placement Training Year
All of our degrees come in 3 and 4 year versions. If you opt for the 4 year course you will have the chance to spend a year in industry, where you will gain additional work-related skills that will set you apart from your fellow graduates. Over the past few years we have had students working for social research organisations, civil service departments, advertising agencies, the police, the youth justice service, and media organisations.
We also have a very successful Undergraduate Exchange Scheme with the University of Maryland.
On offer for BSc Sociology and BSc Sociology Culture and Media students, this offers you the chance to spend your second year studying in the United States, near Washington DC.
We are in the process of developing exchange opportunities for our other courses too.
LEAGUE TABLE RESULTS
The Department’s alumni are engaged in a range of professions across the world. Almost 3,000 have registered with Forever Surrey, the University’s graduate network.
90% of the Department’s graduates live in the UK and the remaining 10% live in 51 other countries.
The five most common professions among the Department’s alumni are:
1) Research Officer
3) Senior Lecturer